- 1 Top 7 Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc
- 1.1 Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc – Buying Guide
- 1.1.1 Durability vs. advanced features
- 1.1.2 Does it bother you if others can see your back brace?
- 1.1.3 Strap type
- 1.1.4 Allergies and Skin sensitivities
- 1.1.5 Keeping the back brace clean
- 1.1.6 Size
- 1.1.7 Customer service and return policy
- 1.1.8 Price ranges
- 1.2 Our top choices
- 1.3 1. Flexguard Support Back Brace – Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc
- 1.4 2. NMT Back Brace Lumbar Support Belt – Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc (runner-up)
- 1.5 3. Mueller Lumbar Support Back Brace
- 1.6 4. King of Kings Lower Back Pain Relief with Pulley System
- 1.7 5. Sparthos Breathable Back Brace
- 1.8 6. Neo G Dorsolumbar Support Brace
- 1.9 7. NeoTech Care Pregnancy Support Band – Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc and Pregnancy
- 1.10 Conclusion – Finding the Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc
Top 7 Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc
If you know someone or have experienced a herniated disc before, you know exactly how bad and stressful that experience can be. Pain moves throughout your whole body which makes it extremely difficult to do everyday tasks such as work or exercise. There are a couple of ways you can ease the pain, there are exercises, rest, relaxation and back braces. In today’s article, we’ll talk about the difficulties when dealing with a herniated disc and we will also give you a list of our picks for the best back brace for herniated disc. So stay tuned, we have a lot of helpful information in the following text.
What is a Herniated Disc?
For those of you who don’t know what a herniated disc is we have the definition. It occurs when part of the material inside your lumbar disc falls into a crack in the exterior that is surrounding the disc. If you ever discover that you have a slipped disc, do your best to remain calm because it is not fatal. However, there will be the neck, back or leg pain involved.
How Do You Know You Have a Herniated Disc?
Knowing that you may have a herniated disc may not seem as obvious as one might think. As a matter of fact you could be going day by day without knowing what those foot tinglings or mild twinges were. Those could be signals that that one or more of your discs have started to leak.
- Intense pain in the thighs, buttocks, calves, legs, and arms
- Pain in your extremities after sneezing or coughing
- Tingling or numbness
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of bladder control
How to Heal a Herniated Disc
Yes, having a herniated disc is a pretty serious thing. What action can you take to help heal or prevent further damage? In a limited number of cases, there is a need for surgery in order to remove the protruding parts of the disc and in some cases the entire disc. In most cases, taking time to rest and relax will help you a lot.
Suggested Recovery Methods:
- Rest: This is the best thing you can do for yourself. Make sure you avoid contact sports and physical work that is labor-intensive. This will prevent additional injury.
- Soothe: By using ice or heat you can reduce the inflammation and also soothe sore tissue. It may also be smart to consider using anti-inflammatory medications to help reduce pain and swelling.
- Treat: Contact a physiotherapist and start an exercise program specially designed for you. If you want to take things further, there are treatments such as electrical stimulation, cortisone injections, and ultrasound.
- Support: Try wearing a back brace for support. There are specially designed products for a herniated disc. These can help rest the back, improve the rate at which it heals and also reduce inflammation.
The main thing is that you shouldn’t panic if you discover that you suffer from a herniated disc. There are actions you can take such as therapies and back brace support that will help you heal and have you feeling good as new.
Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc – Buying Guide
There are a couple of factors that you need to take into consideration before buying a back brace. These factors determine the quality of the product that you’ll get. We’ll start things off by mentioning some of these key factors before moving onto our best back brace for herniated disc list.
Durability vs. advanced features
Back braces that include more advanced features like built-in heating, for example, tend to be less durable compared to back braces that are simpler. The theory is simple, the more moving parts a back brace features, there are more chances of things going wrong. One way to ensure greater longevity is to change between different back braces. This is also a good idea for cleaning. It will give you an option to wear your secondary back brace when the first one is being cleaned.
Does it bother you if others can see your back brace?
Most types of back braces are made to be worn under the clothes, however, there are some that need to be on top of them. If you don’t mind people knowing about your condition then you have nothing to worry about. However, if this does bug you, then you should consider getting one that can be worn under the clothes. The main drawback that these back braces have is that they don’t offer as much support as ones worn on top.
In general buckle straps last longer and are sturdier compared to velcro straps. But there can be some exceptions. Medical-grade Velcro is tougher and lasts longer. In addition to that, these straps stay in place better.
Allergies and Skin sensitivities
Make sure you check the materials the back brace is made of before making the purchase. By doing so, you’ll avoid back braces made of materials that you don’t like. Another thing you can do to avoid contact is by wearing the back brace over your clothes if you don’t mind that.
Keeping the back brace clean
This is another factor to keep an eye for because you won’t use it as much if it is too much trouble to clean it. Most companies that make back braces provide their users with tips on how to clean the back brace. These can be found on their webpage.
Make sure you take measurements before buying a new back brace. There are manufacturers that have very large and very small body-sized back braces, but it is not always the case.
Customer service and return policy
Sometimes even measuring can’t be a guarantee that the back brace will fit you. Therefore, it is important that the product you are looking for has a return policy. Make sure you look into that before buying.
This is another factor you need to take into consideration. To make things a bit easier, we’ve decided to separate the price ranges into three categories:
You should be able to find a decent back brace in the range of 30-40$. Most of the types in these categories are designed as pregnancy support belts or for weight lifting.
If you are looking for more features, expect that you’d have to pay a bit extra cash to get them. This category includes features like built-in heating or massagers and the price ranges in around 50-60$.
If you are looking for even more features like metal reinforces, inflatable air bladders or magnets for improved circulation be prepared to pay even more. Back braces in this category start at 70$ and go further up.
Our top choices
Well now know how much of a difficult condition a herniated disc can be. We also know what are the methods of dealing with it and we also spoke about the key factors when buying a new back brace. Now it is time to have a closer look at our top picks for the best back brace for a herniated disc.
1. Flexguard Support Back Brace – Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc
People that suffer from lower and upper back pain have a huge problem. In most cases the need to get two separate back braces, which is both expensive and bulky. This product from Flexguard is adjustable and will cover both your lower and upper back. It is a comfortable and strong back brace, that will improve your posture. This is done by training your spine and upper muscles to return in their natural alignment. It features cushioned straps, which pull your shoulders back which brings you in an upright stance. In addition to that, there is a waist strap that covers the lumbar area.
- Reputable brand
- Highly convenient
- Easy to use
- Not great for overly-active people
2. NMT Back Brace Lumbar Support Belt – Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc (runner-up)
The lumbar area is exposed to back pain, that is due to the way our bodies function. The spine carries more weight in the lower back and if you have poor posture, this will only add to the problem. Having a lumbar brace will aid you in many ways. That is why we recommend the NMT’s back brace. It is one of the best back brace for herniated disc options. it is perfect for the office chair, the car or simply to relax at home. This unit has built-in tourmaline magnets in the back which help stimulate blood circulation. It has a customizable fit with two outer elastic tension straps.
- Reliable brand
- Several sizes to choose from
- Very basic design
3. Mueller Lumbar Support Back Brace
Having to deal with back pain can be quite expensive. There are doctor costs, medication costs, and productivity loss as well. This is where the Mueller lumbar support back brace can help you. It reduces the pressure on your lower discs and it creates a more even distribution of pressure which results in less pain. It also acts as a support when you’re lifting heavier objects. In addition to that, it features a double-layer design plus an adjustable compression.
- Provides good posture
- Can be damaged easily
4. King of Kings Lower Back Pain Relief with Pulley System
This back brace protects your sciatic nerve and lower back by limiting the movement of the waist. This will help you alleviate soreness and pain in the muscles. In addition to that, it supports both sides of the spine instead of having direct contact with the vertebrae. This corrects misalignment without any additional pressure. It also features a pulley system that allows you to adjust it to a perfect fit.
- Extremely effective
- Several sizes to choose from
- Customers reported a lot of sweating in it
5. Sparthos Breathable Back Brace
This back brace features an adjustable lumbar pad which provides extra compression in the lower back area. It offers vertical support, which stabilizes your back. This helps prevent further rolling of the muscles and lowers the pressure on the discs.
- Comes with a guide
- Instant pain-relief
- High-quality medical brace
- Requires care and maintenance
6. Neo G Dorsolumbar Support Brace
This back brace improves the proper alignment of the lumbar and dorsal spine. It helps reduce scoliosis pain. Moreover, it was developed and designed by orthopedists. Moreover, it will keep your spine in a proper alignment which will result in reduced muscle spasm and strains. Ultimately it will relieve you from pain. The wide range of size choices makes this product great for both adults and children.
- Fits all age groups
- Comfortable for extended wear
- Provides decent posture and support
- Lightweight and breathable
- Pricier than other units with similar features
7. NeoTech Care Pregnancy Support Band – Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc and Pregnancy
Lower back pain is very common when you’re expecting a child. Around 50-70% of women have reported high lower back pain when expecting. Additionally, having back brace support in your daily routine will help you lower the pain greatly. The NeoTech care pregnancy support band is a great choice. It redistributes the pressure more evenly across your lumbar area. This reduces pain in your hips, spine, pelvis as well as sacroiliac regions. In addition to that, it is very comfortable as it includes a soft abdominal pad and is made out of breathable fabric.
- Offers decent lumbar support
- Smooth on the skin
- Great for extended usage
- Can only be used by pregnant women
Conclusion – Finding the Best Back Brace For Herniated Disc
That’s all for today folks. We’ve got to the end of our article. We’ve spoken about the difficulties that come with a herniated disc. But we also mentioned some of the methods that will help you deal with this condition. We hope that now you know what to look for if you decide to get a back brace for support. In addition to this, we also hope that some of our suggestions were helpful and that you found this article helpful and informative. We can conclude that having a back brace will help you relieve pain, but choosing the best back brace comes down to you and your own personal needs.