- 1 Exercises and Tips to Help Relieve Muscle Tension Caused by Poor Sitting and Standing Habits
- 1.1 Slouching in a Chair and Poor Posture
- 1.2 Poor Posture – How Bad Is It?
- 1.3 How to Get Rid of a Curved Lower Back
- 1.4 Staying Standing With a Flat Back
- 1.5 How Do You Get Poor Posture?
- 1.6 How to Get Relief From Poor Posture?
- 1.7 Poking Your Chin – Cause of Poor Posture
- 1.8 Rounded Shoulder and Back Problems – How to Fix Them Naturally
- 1.9 Why Your Phone Can Cause Headaches
Exercises and Tips to Help Relieve Muscle Tension Caused by Poor Sitting and Standing Habits
Exercises and tips to help alleviate muscle tension caused by poor sitting and standing habits are important if you want to strengthen your neck and back muscles.
This condition can be very debilitating to a person’s quality of life and the cost of treatment for this condition can easily reach several thousand dollars or more.
Fortunately, there are exercises and tips to help alleviate muscle tension caused by poor sitting and standing habits. These tips involve avoiding sitting or standing on the same spot for extended periods of time, and strengthening your back and abdomen to relieve back strain.
One of the most common causes of back problems is bad posture. Bad sitting and standing habits are usually the result of a weak core.
This weak core is actually responsible for lower back pain, especially in the case of people who sit at a desk for long periods of time. It is important for you to learn how to strengthen your core, because a weak core is one of the leading causes of chronic back pain.
As with bad posture, strengthening your core will alleviate pain from all over the body. In addition to strengthening your core, the exercises you use should also help alleviate muscle tension caused by bad sitting and standing habits.
There are several good stretches that can be performed at home, such as the Swedish twist, which is best done with a medicine ball.
The Swedish twist has many benefits, such as strengthening the abdominal muscles and reducing strain on the lower back. You can perform a stretching exercise known as the cat stretch.
This stretch works your abdominal muscles, and it is also important to work your back.
To perform this stretch, lie on your back and bring your knees to your chest and lean forward as far as possible. Hold for up to 15 seconds, and then return to your normal position.
For the cat stretch, it is best if you lie on your side and place your feet flat on the floor.
Slouching in a Chair and Poor Posture
Are you suffering from a bad posture? If you’re not then take heart because your posture could be the main cause of your problems with slouching in a chair.
Bad posture can actually lead to a variety of other health issues and is certainly one of the things that will get you noticed when it comes to your height.
The fact of the matter is that people that suffer from poor posture will typically have lower back pain as well as a tendency to slouch in their chairs more than others. If you think you are suffering from any of these problems, then it may be time to consider changing your posture. Here are some tips for you:
To achieve a good posture, you will first need to change the way you sit in your chair.
- Some people sit too close to their desk or chair. While this might help keep you from having to stand up to go to the bathroom, it can also make you slouch in your chair.
- For the most part, if you sit close enough to the surface of your chair, the weight of your body will be on the seat itself and it will create a forward pressure on the back of your neck.
- This is a common problem that many people suffer from. Another thing that can contribute to your slouching in a chair is if you have weak muscles in your back. To help strengthen your muscles, you can use Pilates or yoga, or both.
A final tip for those of you that are suffering from poor posture is to try using a good pair of slippers.
- I know it sounds silly but a good pair of slippers can do wonders for your posture.
- If you slouch in a chair, you will be putting pressure on your back and can actually cause your spine to become curved and make it worse.
- For those that suffer from bad posture, using a pair of slippers will help keep your body in a straight line and help the muscles and spine to stay relaxed.
- Of course, if you can’t afford the use of slippers, a good pair of tennis shoes is a great substitute. You should also try to avoid wearing high heels, because high heels make the problem worse.
Bottoming Out – The Difference Between Bottomed Out and Bottomed In
When you have a pronounced lower curve or you find that your bottom often sticks out, you may be experiencing a more severe condition known as bottoming out.
Bottoming out may result in pain or even some other symptoms including leg pain, joint pain and back pain.
Bottoming out often occurs because of a spinal imbalance such as a low back pain or high arched curve at the waist. It can also be caused by pregnancy or wearing too-tight clothing.
Bottoming out can also be caused by a weak abdominal wall or a very pronounced curve of your lower back.
- Wearing extremely high heels, pregnancy and obesity can all contribute to this condition.
- It is important to understand that bottoming out is not the same as being overweight and obese, so if your weight is normal and you find that your belly is hanging out a bit more than usual, this should not be cause for alarm.
- The most important thing is to seek medical attention as you may need to take prescription medication to correct the problem. Bottoming out can sometimes be corrected with surgery, but it is usually best left to a doctor.
- Bottomed out pregnant women are particularly prone to bottoming out.
Poor Posture – How Bad Is It?
Sitting on a chair that does not give your back and butt the support they need will cause a lot of problems with your posture, causing you to slouch in a chair or worse, a recliner and give in to the pressure. If you have any doubts that sitting in a chair that does not provide you with good back and butt support is bad for you, then you should check out the following two examples:
- You have seen these chairs in movies and read about them in magazines: their backs are so low that you can feel yourself being compressed.
- The slouching from the back is so extreme that it causes your spine to twist backwards and make you sink to your knees.
- When you have this problem, it becomes impossible for you to sit up straight or even bend down, because you’re unable to get the right leverage from your spine.
- This is a symptom of a weak back and weak buttocks, caused by poor posture.
- The best way to improve your posture and back and butt strength is to invest in a chair that provides you with plenty of back and butt support, but also one that allows you plenty of leg room.
- The best types of chairs to use for this purpose would be ones with high back support, and those that have lower lumbar supports.
- If you want to buy one of these chairs, you first need to consider your budget. If you have the money, go for the expensive ones.
These chairs will usually come with a lot of additional features, including padded seats, adjustable arm rests, lumbar cushion, foot rest, etc.
You can get as much or as little support as you want for your body.
However, if you don’t have the money for a fancy-looking chair, then I suggest that you settle for a simple one that gives you the kind of support that your back and butt deserve. Remember, cheap is not always the best, and cheap isn’t always the best option either.
How to Get Rid of a Curved Lower Back
If you have a pronounced curve in your lower back or bottom tends to stick out more than you would like, you may be wondering how to get rid of that curve.
There are some ways that you can work on the problem but before we discuss those ways let’s talk about why the bottom of your back tends to stick out so much.
The bottom tends to stick out because of an issue with the muscles at the bottom of your back that actually pull the body in the direction you want it to go.
The problem is that as you age, the lower back muscles tend to contract and this can cause your lower back to stick out. You can help remedy this issue by working on strengthening the lower back muscles.
- A great way to strengthen these muscles is through yoga.
- Yoga helps to keep the lower back in a neutral position and prevents it from contracting.
- One way to get started with doing yoga exercises is to find a yoga class near you.
You’ll want to take your time when doing yoga and always make sure that you do some breathing techniques that help bring more blood to your lower back muscles. As you do your breathing, make sure that you slowly flex your lower back muscles.
Staying Standing With a Flat Back
- If you are looking for some tips and tricks for improving your posture while standing with a flat back, there are many to choose from.
- The first thing to remember is that when you stand with a flat back, the lower portion of your body will be in an inclined position.
- If your posture is right, then your upper body should be held up high.
- You can do this by keeping your shoulders pulled back, and your chin tucked. Make sure that your hips are also in proper alignment. Your feet should be pointed.
- In order to correct your poor posture, it is important to make sure that your back is not bent. To do this, bend your knees slightly and bend your arms as well.
- You want to make sure that your shoulders do not drop, and your head does not slant forward. Your knees should be straight and not bent in any way.
- It is important to remember that it is possible to have a bad posture if you are overweight or obese.
- In these cases, you may have to cut back on the amount of caffeine or alcohol that you consume, and make sure that you stretch every day before going to bed.
- Your bad posture will be even more apparent if you do not have a desk or chair where you can put your head down when you are trying to read. If you cannot stand or sit with a proper posture while standing with a flat back, then you should invest in a good ergonomic chair for your home.
These types of chairs are designed specifically to give your spine the support it needs while standing with a flat back.
How Do You Get Poor Posture?
Most people who sit for extended periods of time are prone to developing poor posture, and leaning too much on one leg can cause you a lot of problems.
- Even if you never think about it, your body is always leaning on one leg, so chances are you’ve already developed poor posture.
- It’s not just sitting that leads to poor posture; you also develop poor posture when you walk, stand, and move about.
- In fact, it’s not only sitting that causes poor posture, but even standing can have a significant impact on your posture, as well as walking.
- This bad habit will most likely make it even more difficult to correct. You’ll find that when you’re standing, your upper body is often slightly out of line with the center line of your feet, which means that your hips and shoulders will always be slightly out in front of your feet.
- This is very unhealthy for your spine, especially if you’re doing something as simple as bending down or lifting your foot. If you’ve been standing in the same position for too long, you may start to feel as though you have a pinched nerve somewhere in your body, so it’s a good idea to try to avoid standing and try walking instead.
- Another thing that can lead to poor posture is slouching, so you should try to avoid this.
A great way to do this is to use a good ergonomic chair. If you do suffer from back issues, you’ll want to look for a chair that has a lumbar cushion and a back support, especially one that’s made of memory foam or other such material.
This will help you keep your spine in the correct position and keep your shoulders and hips in line with the rest of your body.
Remember that even if you don’t suffer from chronic back problems, you still have the chance to develop poor posture, and you should take advantage of this. Make sure you try all of these things when you’re standing, and see how your posture improves over time.
How to Get Relief From Poor Posture?
- Hunched back poor posture is one of the major causes of back pain and in many cases it is the reason for which people have chronic pain. If you are a person who has poor posture and wants to get relief from this kind of back pain, there are some easy ways through which you can get relief.
- Hunched back can occur due to various reasons. One of which is wrong working posture. In this case your head should be aligned properly with the spine and not towards the ceiling.
This is possible only when you follow some guidelines like watching the posture while sitting at your desk, standing up, walking and also while moving the legs on the ground. Your feet should not be too flat on the floor and they should neither be too high nor too low. Your shoulders must be held back with the right hand at the same level with the spine and should be kept back.
There are several things that you need to do to get rid of poor posture. The best thing to do is to make a regular practice of exercising by means of yoga and other physical exercises. You should also remember to stretch regularly and get enough rest every night.
Poking Your Chin – Cause of Poor Posture
If you have a habit of using your index finger to poke your chin when looking into a mirror or have a habit of putting your fingers in your hair and pushing your chin up, you are doing it because your bad posture is causing your chin to droop. There are three main causes for this.
- The first cause is poor posture.
- This occurs when you put your body in one of two bad positions: your head is in an awkward position that causes your jaw to fall open, which puts a great deal of stress on the chin and neck muscles, making them weak and ineffective.
- The second cause is poor muscle strength. When your chin muscles are weak, they cannot support your neck, making your chin droop even further.
To fix your bad posture, you can try using a strap that will help to support your head. Another thing you can do is make sure that your chin is supported by a sturdy piece of furniture. And, of course, the third cause of your chin drooping is poor muscle strength.
If your chin is weak, then you won’t be able to hold yourself up properly. So, to cure your chin problem you have to do a lot of strengthening exercises in order to strengthen your weak muscle groups, and improve your posture. One of these exercises is the chin up exercise.
This exercise can be performed by lying down flat on your back, with your hands flat against your chest.
Slowly, while tilting your head up, push your chin forward as hard as you can. You can also do the reverse of this exercise. Now, instead of tilting your head up, push your chin back. This way, the muscles that are used to support the chin are strengthened. If you want to cure your chin problem, then this exercise is the one to do.
Rounded Shoulder and Back Problems – How to Fix Them Naturally
You’ve probably heard the term “bad posture” before, but what does it really mean? And more importantly, how can you fix a bad posture naturally?
- I’ve seen people with bad backs and bad shoulders, who still managed to be happy. Because if you are happy and contented then you’re more likely to be healthier, happier, and less likely to get sick. The same goes for your shoulders and even worse than that, your neck.
- If your shoulders don’t fit well, then you’re not doing anything for your neck to work out properly either.
- If your shoulders are too long or too short then this will also cause you problems with poor posture.
- This is because it makes it harder for your shoulders to move and bend properly, and the less flexibility your shoulder has the more prone it is to getting pain.
- Also, if you have poor posture your shoulders will always feel weak and fatigued.
- A lot of people spend all day working on their shoulders, but what they don’t realize is that by doing this they could be causing serious problems that could eventually lead to serious problems like arthritis.
- The only thing that should really keep you from lifting weights is if your shoulders are overstretched but I’ve never heard of that happening!
In order to fix a bad posture then all you have to do is get the right exercises to help you. The best thing you can do is to do all kinds of exercises that are specifically designed to strengthen the muscles in your shoulders and back.
These are called targeted muscle groups and if done correctly they will help you strengthen and tone your shoulder and back and help you avoid poor posture in the future. There is no secret about how to correct your posture, and even worse, poor posture is actually making your shoulders and back to work harder!
Why Your Phone Can Cause Headaches
Are you trying to get a good nights sleep while trying to cradle your phone between your arm and shoulder? Are you having trouble sleeping because of the extra pressure on your neck as you try to hold onto the handset with one hand while you turn your neck in a clockwise motion to get the phone in your hand? If so, then you’re not alone. It is no secret that having a mobile phone placed in this position makes it difficult to get a good night’s sleep.
There are a number of reasons why cradling your phone in poor posture causes trouble for many people. One of the most common issues is the pressure that is applied on your neck and head when you do this.
This results in the head turning in a slightly different direction from where your head would be naturally.
- Other people who use their phones in this way include those that sleep with their head at an angle to the floor, or use their hands while lying on the bed. People with high necklines can also find that cradling their phone puts a lot of pressure on their necks.
- However, if your neckline is too low and you have long hair tied back, then this may be even more detrimental to your health.
- Another problem with cradling your phone in poor posture is that you are likely to fall asleep with your hand resting on the screen and your palm resting against it.
- As you do so, your brain has to focus on trying to read and process all of the information coming in, while your mind is also thinking about what needs to happen next, such as what phone calls need to be made, and what messages have been received.
- While it is true that it is very important to get a good night’s sleep, this can actually cause serious problems, such as insomnia.
- It is important that you use cradling your phone in a comfortable position and that you don’t rest your hands on the phone all night long.
- You should also make sure that you are getting enough rest before you sleep because if you sleep with the phone next to your head, you are likely to wake up with neck pain or other problems.