- 1 Does Mattress Cause Back Pain?
- 1.1 Sleeping on the Wrong Mattress Can Cause Or Complicate Lower Back Pain
- 1.2 Lack of Support From a Mattress Reconsiders Poor Sleeping Posture
- 1.3 Sleep Comfort Is Also Sacrificed If a Mattress Does Not Match One’s Individual Preferences
- 1.4 A Mattress That Provides Both Comfort and Back Support Helps Reduce Low Back Pain
- 1.5 No Single Mattress Style Or Type That Works For All People With Low Back Pain
- 1.6 How to Choose a Good Mattress
- 1.7 One Study Found Out That Medium Firm Mattress Is Better Solution For Back Pain
- 1.8 The Importance of Having a Good Back Support
- 1.9 Sleeping on a Mattress That is Too Firm Can Cause Aches and Pains on Pressure
- 1.10 Buying a Firmer Mattress For Back Support
- 1.11 A Bed That sagging Visibly in the Middle Or Is No Longer Comfortable?
Does Mattress Cause Back Pain?
The bad news is that most mattresses will cause back problems.
- The good news is that your mattress will not cause permanent damage to your back.
- However, even though a mattress may not be able to cause permanent damage to your back, it can make you suffer from constant back problems.
There are certain types of mattress that will cause back problems.
- Specifically, the latex mattresses that many people buy now contain a resin in them.
- This resin will cause several types of problems.
- Latex is very soft.
- This means that when you roll over on top of the mattress, the shape of the latex will flatten out.
- If you lay down on this mattress, you can suffer pain.
- When this happens, you will also find that your spine will be in an unnatural position and will put pressure on your back.
- This chemical causes people to roll off the mattress because it creates a lot of pressure.
- When you roll over, the pressure on your spine can be very strong.
- This can put pressure on your spinal cord, which can cause pain, numbness, or weakness.
- People that roll over will also find that this type of mattress causes back problems.
- The pads of the mattress will flatten out, creating pressure on the spine.
- This pressure will also cause you to suffer from lower back problems.
Will a lot of pressure put pressure on the nerves in your neck?
That is certainly possible.
The pressure of being on a heavy bed may cause the muscles to tighten up and will put pressure on the nerves.
The result of this is a dull ache in your neck that can feel as if it is aching.
Some people prefer a memory foam mattress, which has none of these issues. The foam is extremely soft, making it more comfortable for you. You do not need the mattress to flatten out, which makes it easier to sleep on.
Sleeping on the Wrong Mattress Can Cause Or Complicate Lower Back Pain
- When you find yourself sleeping on the wrong mattress for you, the first thing you need to realize is that you need to try something different.
- You want to sleep on a different mattress, and then try a few other things.
- You may even want to try and sleep on an orthopedic mattress, but this will take a little more time than a traditional mattress.
Once you get comfortable with sleeping on an orthopedic mattress, you may be tempted to change to an orthopedic mattress, but it may not be in your best interest to do so until you have found a better mattress for your body.
Do you find yourself getting lower back pain at night?
There are a few ways that you can fix the problem and get relief from the pain, one of which is sleeping on an orthopedic mattress.
Sleeping on the wrong mattress can cause or worsen lower back pain, and therefore finding a good way to change the mattress, or at least sleep on one for several nights, is a must.
- You can use a sleeping bag as another way to treat lower back pain, but this will take you away from the comfort of a bed and into the comfort of a tent.
- There are other options for treating lower back pain, but it all comes down to what is best for you.
- If you are trying to get relief from lower back pain without treating the root cause of the condition, you may want to consider spending some time at home or visiting your doctor, because it is not possible to get rid of the pain completely by going to the doctor.
Lack of Support From a Mattress Reconsiders Poor Sleeping Posture
One reason why people suffer from sleep apnea is due to the lack of support from a mattress.
The lack of cushioning on your hips, especially in the upper portion of your back, can create a poor sleeping posture.
When you sleep on your side, your head will naturally fall back to where it’s supposed to be – in front of your heart.
However, the way you sleep on your side places pressure on your spine and prevents the airway from being completely blocked, which is what causes sleep apnea.
What can you do to help alleviate this problem?
- Well, the first thing you should do is to make sure you are getting a good mattress for your bed.
- This will help your spine stays straighter, which allows your body to stay more upright during sleep.
- The other thing you can do is to get a pillow that will help you support your back and help your head stay under the curve.
- There are several companies that make pillow-backed mattresses, including Simmons, Bummis, Pearlridge, and Breville.
- They are all incredibly comfortable and give you the support you need, even while you sleep.
Of course, there are also plenty of products on the market that can help you relieve your symptoms of sleep apnea.
Sleep Comfort Is Also Sacrificed If a Mattress Does Not Match One’s Individual Preferences
When it comes to the subject of the right type of mattress, our sleep comfort is also sacrificed if a mattress does not match one’s individual preferences.
- In addition, there are many different kinds of mattresses available for purchase and each of them are best suited for certain individuals.
- While many people spend a lot of time trying to find a good mattress, a person who is looking for a good sleep experience will also spend some time searching for the perfect mattress.
- Therefore, before one goes for a mattress, one must keep in mind that the mattresses are not meant to replace a good night’s sleep but rather to complement a person’s need for a comfortable sleep experience.
- The right kind of mattress will not only cushion a person’s body but will also provide an opportunity to use various positions for sleeping such as the stomach and back or the side or stomach position.
- These positions are better known as sleeping on your stomach or on your back.
- However, the best kind of mattress should provide a stable base.
- For instance, a good quality mattress should be free from any kind of pins or springs which may cause discomfort when one is lying down.
- When a person is using a mattress that is too soft, he/she may feel uncomfortable when a person leans over him/her and sleeping on his/her back or stomach.
- Therefore, the mattress that provides the right support for a person should be made of foam or memory foam because these two materials provide the most comfortable sleep experience.
- It should also be kept in mind that when a person sleeps on his/her back or stomach, there is a very small chance of slipping while the mattress is compressed.
- Therefore, the mattress should be able to provide the best support for a person while sleeping and this means it should be firm enough.
- In addition, it should not be too soft.
A Mattress That Provides Both Comfort and Back Support Helps Reduce Low Back Pain
When a person suffers from mild to moderate lower back pain, he or she may want to look for a good mattress that provides both comfort and back support.
It is important to find a suitable mattress that helps the sufferer to maintain a proper posture while sleeping, which will help minimize the pain that is caused by this condition.
No Single Mattress Style Or Type That Works For All People With Low Back Pain
The most frequent question I hear from clients about their back pain is if they can find a good one that works for them.
Each person has a different set of needs that will be met by their back problems.
No matter what the cause of your back pain is it will affect you differently as far as sleeping. You should try to find a mattress that suits your personal comfort level.
- The first thing that you need to do when looking for a good mattress is to understand the difference between low back pain and low back inflammation.
- Some people get a lot of lower back pain and some do not.
- The reason is because there are people who are born with a naturally strong back that can withstand a lot of stress.
- For others, they have to live with some serious pain and just wear down after being in the same situation over again. Finding a good mattress to go with is key.
The next consideration is finding out what type of back problems you have and find out what type of mattress will work best for you.
There are different back support types.
It is very important to find out if you have sciatica and if so, the best type of mattress that will work best for you.
The Coils of the Mattress
- Even though mattresses vary in their number and arrangement of coils, they are still composed of a series of air cells that vary in size and shape.
- The cells actually differ in their number and placement.
- The size of the cells also varies according to the mattress type.
- A king size mattress can contain more than 1 million air cells while a twin or double queen size mattress will usually contain about 300 thousand air cells.
- Each air cell is made up of a number of cells each with three or more layers of cells called coils.
- Since coils are made up of layers of cells that are all attached by strings, the number of layers can vary.
A higher number of layers in an air cell results in a better support.
The number of layers in the cells are closely related to the comfort level of the mattress. Hence, even though the number of layers in an air cell does not change, the comfort level does change.
- Generally speaking, the lower the number of coils in the air cell, the better the comfort.
- The higher the number of coils in the air cell, the better the cushioning or support.
- Generally, a comfortable mattress is one that has a number of air cells that are about three or four layers.
- Similarly, a king or queen size mattress can have between two and five layers.
- The higher the number of layers in an air cell, the better the support.
- In order to reach a comfortable comfort level, there are several things that need to be done.
- To make a comfortable mattress, it is important to first determine the mattress type and then go to a shop where mattresses are sold to look for the best one to purchase.
Padding on Top of the Mattress – The Different Thicknesses
Padding on top of the mattress comes in many different thicknesses. There are covers that will go up the entire top of the mattress and there are those that will come down the entire top of the mattress.
There are those that are thin enough to be practically invisible and there are those that are thicker than your average spring bedding.
Some are so thick that you could conceivably put a sheet or blanket over them.
If you decide to get one of these products, be sure that you know what it is made of. You don’t want to sleep on something that could be easily ripped by your own skin.
Some covers come with a layer of extra padding for added comfort. Others will come with a plush bottom for extra support.
There are also some covers that have the special feature of being removable.
You can get one that has the springs on the bottom which allow for the covers to move freely so you can remove the cover from the mattress.
Some people even find that this allows for the springs to work properly so they work properly.
- The depth of a mattress plays a big role in how comfortable a mattress is for the user.
- Mattresses that are shallow often allow pressure to build up, which can lead to back pain, as well as making it difficult to achieve a properly sleeping position.
- A mattress that is deep can also result in poor blood circulation due to its presence.
- Some manufacturers are even beginning to create mattresses that are so deep that they are non-impact.
- Most mattresses that are sold in retail stores are considered somewhere between a seven and a ten inch deep.
- The average bed is around eight and nine inches deep. A queen sized bed is considered to be around twelve and thirteen inches deep.
- Of course, the average bed is not considered to be deep enough to accommodate a king-sized bed.
- The number of inches that your mattress will be considered deep varies according to how you are measuring the depth of the mattress.
- For instance, if you are using a standard pillow top mattress, it would be more than enough depth.
- A queen or king sized pillow top mattress would probably need more depth than the average bed that you see at a retail store.
- Although, there are mattresses that are now available that have been designed for individuals who need a more shallow sleeping position.
- These mattresses are filled with microfiber and/or latex that prevent pressure and soreness while sleeping.
- There are many manufacturers who are now making mattresses that offer both a deeper and softer feel when it comes to a mattress.
How to Choose a Good Mattress
A good mattress should provide support for the natural curve and alignment of the spine.
- It should also provide adequate pressure relief.
- If a sleeping position or level of the body is unstable, the spine is likely to become misaligned.
- It can be from an incorrect sleeping posture such as slouched shoulders, elevated hips, or the legs on the stomach.
- An unstable sleeping position or overworked muscles in the back area can cause spinal disc degeneration.
- A good mattress should be firm enough to provide support without being too hard.
- It should also provide enough firmness to allow the head to move freely but still allow the spine to form a straight line.
- The natural curves and alignment of the spine are not affected by the position of the body or how one sleeps.
- While the spine is neutral, body posture may be non-standard, which can create a back problem if the posture is wrong.
- This is why it is important to try out different sleeping positions so that the spine is positioned correctly.
- There are many mattresses available in the market today, but they should all provide support for the spine but provide enough comfort for the user.
- One should not choose a firm mattress that could cause pressure on the spine.
- It should also provide the proper amount of firmness, so that the user can relax and enjoy the sleep without having to worry about waking up feeling sore or stiff.
- The best way to find a good mattress is to try out different ones before you settle for a particular type.
- It is also wise to make sure that it is made of good quality materials so that it can last for a long time.
- In order to find out the main features of a good mattress, you can ask friends or family to recommend the best one.
One Study Found Out That Medium Firm Mattress Is Better Solution For Back Pain
New research has found that it is not the firmness of a mattress that causes pain, but rather the softness of a mattress that causes stress on the spine.
It is important to choose a mattress that is appropriate for your sleeping needs, and to provide comfort to the body during sleep.
The one thing that you should avoid is choosing a mattress that is too firm or too soft.
One study found that medium-firm mattresses usually provide more back pain and lower back support than firm mattresses.
Although this study did not directly look at movement or vibration of the mattress, the results seem to prove that a soft mattress is more comfortable than a stiff one.
- Comfort is the key to back pain relief. However, not all mattresses are soft.
- Although not all mattresses are soft, most mattress brands are not designed with sleepers in mind. The stiffer the mattress, the higher the risk of developing neck and shoulder problems. The softer the mattress, the less chance of developing these problems.
- Also, the quality of the mattress and construction affect the chances of developing injuries. Worrying about the firmness of the mattress can be frustrating when you get up and the mattress is already too firm. If you are unsure of what firmness feels best, test a few before purchasing a mattress.
- A mattress can help reduce or prevent the development of various types of disorders. When trying to decide if a mattress is soft or firm, the right place to start is with the type of sleep you need. There are five stages of sleep.
- Stage one of sleep is the deepest and sleepiest, called REM. Stage two of sleep is also called light sleep, in which there is little movement, while stage three is the deepest stage of sleep and called deep sleep. Stage four sleep is called rapid eye movement sleep, when a person is active.
- Mattresses that fit into any of these stages will likely be supportive and comfy. Mattresses in the middle stages tend to be too firm. Just as people have different requirements for sleeping positions, people also require different comfort levels for their mattresses.
- A mattress that fits one stage of sleep should be firm enough to provide support while the sleeper is in that position. It should also provide support when lying on its side. Medium firm mattresses are recommended for individuals who suffer from back pain.
- If you have sleeping problems and experience severe pain from sleeping on your back or side, a firm mattress may work for you. It will provide relief for your neck and shoulders and relieve muscle tension. You will likely find that you wake up easier with a firm mattress.
- Even if you do not have any sleeping problems, there are also other factors to consider when purchasing a mattress. If you are a smoker, choose a mattress that is not filled with chemicals that tend to make the body’sability to relax get worse. Some mattresses have lint and feathers that can accumulate over time.
- These mattresses are too soft for your sleeping needs and will add to your back problems. the researchers in the above study found that soft mattresses cause the spine to lengthen. instead of relaxing the spine, it causes the spine to lengthen.
The Importance of Having a Good Back Support
When it comes to finding the right mattress for you, your back needs to be a priority.
This is true whether you are looking for a good night’s sleep or a comfortable night’s sleep. If you have a problem with your back sleeping on a hard mattress, you can begin by simply reading the ratings on the mattress you are interested in.
Although there are several mattress ratings on the market, it is important to note that some rating agencies actually use ratings that do not necessarily translate into good sleep for people with certain types of health problems.
It is important to choose a mattress that is at least two months in advance of your planned sleep schedule so that you can get a good night’s sleep.
Finding a mattress that gives you both back support and comfort is easier than it may seem. It is not necessary to purchase the highest rated mattress on the market, but it is possible to find one that offers support and comfort to help you achieve a balance between the back support and comfort.
One way to achieve this is to find a mattress that is a good weight so that it does not press too far on your back or cause your back to be pressed into the mattress as you sleep.
Many people experience bad sleep when they use a mattress that is too soft, even if the mattress has a large amount of support.
The basic idea is that you want a mattress that is firm enough that it does not cause your back to be pressed into it while you sleep, but not so hard that it causes pain to occur during the night.
- A mattress with plenty of support can also be used to help achieve a balance between the back support and comfort.
- It is possible to find a mattress that offers excellent back support and great comfort, which are great if you have serious back issues.
- The better your mattress, the better the balance between back support and comfort that you will be able to achieve.
- Many people who suffer from many back problems may need to change their mattress every three to four years in order to ensure that they are getting adequate support.
In addition, if you are looking for a mattress that works well for people with specific health problems, make sure that you find a mattress that fits your specific needs so that you can have a great night’s sleep and experience the benefits of a good mattress.
Sleeping on a Mattress That is Too Firm Can Cause Aches and Pains on Pressure
The problem of sleeping on a mattress that is too firm can cause aches and pains on pressure. I have tried on countless mattresses, especially my own, and the most comfortable ones were those with a gentle pressure point.
This point is placed in a strategic place that is neither too close to the heart nor too far away from it, making it impossible for you to feel a sharp pain while sleeping. I was able to find this type of bed when I used to try on many mattresses from different store brands.
These types of beds are not only comfortable but also hygienic. Because they are usually hypo-allergenic, there is no chance of contracting any disease, or of sharing the same air or dust. You also don’t have to worry about allergies or fungal growth while sleeping. This is because there is no breathing space inside a pillowcase. When sleeping on a mattress that is too firm, it puts an even pressure on your back and shoulders, causing the muscles in the area to tense up due to the lack of circulation.
The pressure is particularly harmful to the back muscles.
The sudden sharp pain that occurs during the night makes you lay on your back, thus bringing about stress on the spinal column.
This produces symptoms such as pain, numbness, tingling, and fatigue.
Buying a Firmer Mattress For Back Support
When it comes to buying a firmer mattress for back support you don’t have to purchase the first product that you see or the first one on sale.
- The very last step is comparing prices and the key to getting the best deal is comparing prices between a large number of retailers that are selling mattresses for back support.
- When buying the right mattress for back support for the comfort of your back, you need to remember that buying a poorly made one is the same as buying a poorly made sofa.
- They are both not suitable for comfort and look far worse than they really are.
- You want to get a mattress that will give you the best support and this will enable you to get the most from your back support, which in turn will help you get a good night’s sleep.
- A second factor that needs to be considered when looking for a firmer mattress for back support is what type of mattresses that you want to have.
- You can get one with thicker padding for greater comfort and protection.
- Make sure that you consider the size of the mattress before you buy.
- The thickness of the material used should be firm enough to provide good support, but not so firm that it causes irritation to your back.
- Choose one that is flexible enough to mould to your body shape, and has a firm foam core, which will prevent the mattress from collapsing as you sleep.
A Bed That sagging Visibly in the Middle Or Is No Longer Comfortable?
- Most of us have experienced having a mattress that appears older than the owner, especially if it has sagged significantly and has become hard to fold up or place under the bed or in the closet.
- A mattress may become so much so that it becomes difficult to sleep on it, and this could be the case with an older mattress. H
- owever, these types of mattresses can be easily fixed and can be returned to good condition. There are several different methods to properly fix your mattress and this article will discuss some of them.
- The first thing that you should do when repairing your mattress is take it all apart and look at the mattress frame, mattress cover, and box spring.
- You can test them for looseness of coils or any bulges in the mattress.
- You will also need to check the springs for tension.
- Check the springs to see if they are slightly out of round or have a few spots that are uneven.
- You can even tighten these if needed.
- Another thing that you can do to ensure that your old mattress can remain as good as new is to re-upholster it.
- A good way to do this is to have it positioned on the bed by bending the box spring and pulling down the cover.
- There are also special mattresses available that use special glue to make it possible to secure the mattress frame.
- These types of mattresses may only last a little bit longer but they will always be comfortable to sleep on.
- If you have a full box spring mattress, the only option that you have to keep it in good condition is to buy a new one. However, you will have to pay more money for a new mattress.